TERM 6 AT MLD IS SHOWCASE TIME IN 2018!
- Showcase Performance Courses starting Monday 22nd October
- Early Bird available until Friday 29th September
- The MLD Showcase will be on Saturday 15th of December
BE ON STAGE PERFORMING AT THE 11th ANNUAL MLD SHOWCASE 2018!
Showcase Performance Courses will run for 8 consecutive weeks commencing week beginning Monday 22nd October and culminating with the Performance on Saturday 15th December so save the date!
How exciting! It’s Showcase time again – the most exciting time of the year for MLD and its’ students!
Every year, in our last term of the year at Melbourne Latin Dance we dedicate ourselves to giving our students the opportunity to be part of a Student Performance Team and perform – even if they’ve never done so before and even if they’ve only just started learning! Every dance style we offer (Salsa, Samba and Bachata) is learnt as a performance course in this term. Unlike our regular terms, the Showcase term is not just one hour of class per week. Instead it is 2 ½ hours per week! For some courses this means 1 hour in a weekday class and also another 1 ½ hour class at the weekend (Sunday), or vise versa. Either way – that’s 20 class hours per course in the term!
The performances are sometimes themed and always costumed of course! At the end of the 8 weeks the students’ efforts culminate in amazing performances at the MLD Showcase with friends and family in attendance to watch proudly!
No matter what your current level of dance ability is, there is no better way to fast track your dancing than taking part in a Performance Team so don’t miss this opportunity. Not only are Performance Courses the best way to fast track your dancing ability – they are also THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE! At MLD we put far more of our time, effort and energy into the Showcase Term and you gain far more benefit than in a regular term – but, having said that, the cost per class hour is LESS than for our regular classes!
We only accept limited numbers into the MLD Student Showcase Performance teams (we are limited to the number of students we can fit on the stage) so places really are strictly limited. Last year places in many of the Showcase courses sold out very quickly, and some people did miss out.
SHOWCASE COURSES STARTING WEEK BEGINNING MONDAY 22nd OCTOBER 2018
|7.00 – 8.00||Beginners Samba + Sundays 2.30 – 4 pm|
|8.00 – 10.00||Intermediate Samba + Squad rehearsals (this course will run over terms 5 & 6)|
|7.00 – 8.00||Beginners Bachata + Sundays 11.30 am – 1 pm|
|8.00 – 9.00||Beginners Salsa + Sundays 1pm – 2.30 pm|
|9.00 – 10.00||Beginners Samba + Sundays 2.30 – 4 pm|
|7.00 – 8.00||Advanced Salsa|
|8.00 – 10.00||Salsa Squad|
|6.00 – 7.00||Beginners Salsa & Sundays 1pm – 2.30 pm|
|7.00 – 8.30||Intermediate Salsa + Sundays 4 – 5 pm|
|8.30 – 10.00||Intermediate Bachata + Sundays 5 -6 pm|
|11.30 – 6pm||Courses as specified above|
SHOWCASE COURSE PRICING
Early Bird Pricing (if paid on or by Friday 28th September)
1 Showcase Course $275
2 Showcase Courses $235
3 Showcase Courses $195
4 Showcase Courses $165
Regular Pricing (if paid after Friday 28th September)
1 Showcase Course $295
2 Showcase Courses $255
3 Showcase Courses $215
4 Showcase Courses $185
HOW TO REGISTER AND SECURE YOUR SPOT
To register for Showcase you will need to fill out and sign a registration form at the studio or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and mobile number and also be sure to include the name and level of the showcase course you want to join and specify which night (as some courses are available on more than one night)
You can secure your place in the Showcase Courses with your payment either by:
- Internet transfer
- Credit card payment at the studio or over the phone
- Payment by cash at the studio
MLD SHOWCASE PERFORMANCE NIGHT - SATURDAY 15TH DECEMBER 2018
- The Performance Courses will run for 8 consecutive weeks commencing week beginning Monday 22nd October and culminating with the Performance on Saturday 15th December.
- There will be a total of 2 ½ class hours per week. This may be a 1 hour weekday class and also a 1 ½ hour rehearsal each Sunday or vise versa. There will be a technical rehearsal at the venue on the Saturday of week 8 in place of the Sunday rehearsal on Week 8. This means that you will be receiving 20 hours of tuition over the 8 weeks.
- Performers will not need to pay entry to the Showcase Event on Saturday 15th December so long as they have purchased at least 2 tickets for friends/family, otherwise there will be a $15 cover fee (due by Week 5). If paid after week 5, this cover fee is $20.
- There will also be photos and videos of the performances made available to you FREE. Yes, photos and videos are included! The footage of your performance will be made available to you on our Facebook page and/or our Youtube channel.
- There will be an additional cost for your costume. The maximum cost of your costume will be $160 and this includes a $15 sourcing fee. The $160 for costumes will need to be paid at the studio by the second week of the course. Once costumes have been purchased and total cost established, if the costumes were less than allowed for, the difference will be refunded to you.
- For ladies there are also specific shoes for the Showcase costume. For Salsa and Bachata they are the same shoes and Samba performers have other specific shoes. Both the Salsa/Bachata and the Samba shoes are normally $170 at the studio however if you are registered into a showcase course, they are discounted to $150 per pair.
PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT DEPOSIT COSTUME MONEY into the MLD Bank Account.
Also note that Intermediate Samba and Samba Squad costumes are an exception and will exceed $160 and Salsa Squad costumes may also exceed $160.
Partnered courses such as Salsa and Bachata MUST have even numbers. This means that when the course starts, if we have for example, more men registered that women or vise versa, then the last people who paid for their course will be refunded so that we can create an even number of men and women.
THIS HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE YEAR. IF YOU WANT A SPOT, BOOK EARLY!! DO NOT WAIT FOR THE EARLY BIRD DATE!
PRE-REQUISITES FOR SHOWCASE
For all Beginners Showcases
To have done at least one Beginners 8 Week Course at MLD (or equivalent) in the dance style that you’d like to do for Showcase
For all Intermediate Showcases
Ideally to have done at least 6 months to 1 year of classes at MLD at the Intermediate Level in the dance style that you’d like to do for Showcase
For partnered Performance Courses such as Salsa and Bachata although YOU DO NOT NEED TO JOIN WITH A PARTNER to do these courses, we MUST have even numbers of Men and Women in the courses. We must know in advance of your interest in joining or we cannot ensure a partner for you on the first night of the course starting. If you are interested in joining one of the Performance Courses you MUST register well in advance to the course starting.
YOU CAN ALSO DO THE SHOWCASE COURSE, BUT NOT PERFORM
First let me say that I can’t imagine why!! Sometimes people are away or have commitments on the night of the performance but don’t want to miss out on the accelerated learning curve that a Performance Course provides, not to mention missing out on 8 Weeks of dancing! (Never a good idea if your plan is to be moving forward with your dancing! Eight weeks out of the game is likely to set you back a little!) Then, there are those who simply don’t want to perform.
For courses not requiring a partner, such as Brazilian Samba, this has no bearing on anyone else and so therefore it is ok to do this.
For partnered Courses such as Salsa or Bachata courses you can only do the performance course if you either have a dance partner who also wants to do the course but not perform, or there happens to be someone else enrolling who wants to do the course but doesn’t want to perform. Best bet is to register your interest in the course with us and we’ll see what we can do about partnering you with someone who also doesn’t want to perform, if not performing is your preference.
Having said all of this, it is very rare that people do want to do the performance course but not perform. Performing is a blast and it’s something everyone should do at least once in their lives!! If it’s not on your bucket list yet – it should be!
Liz and the MLD Team
What our students have to say about MLD! - https://youtu.be/_uQTstpeNkE
Showcase 2017 Youtube links:
MLD Showcase 2017 – Int Samba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FloLVqi9GfQ
MLD Showcase 2017 – Beginners Samba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNrBm6dInak
MLD Showcase 2017 – Int Salsa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYseePTNFB8
MLD Showcase 2017 – Int Bachata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V50fZH-Se7U
MLD Showcase 2017 – Beginners Salsa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg7UGrxTCsY
Showcase 2016 Youtube links:
MLD Showcase 2016 – Int Samba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ske_Nt38VVk
MLD Showcase 2016 – Int Samba Caciqu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bejm2v-LyDw
MLD Showcase 2016 – Beginners Samba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk22RjeXv6w
MLD Showcase 2016 – Int Salsa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrP9rm5t6ro
MLD Showcase 2016 – Beginners Salsa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVWYBLiTXg
Showcase 2015 Youtube links:
Int Samba https://youtu.be/2UqCcq_r9to
Advanced Salsa: https://youtu.be/Nx-YyYQJDiA
Beginners Samba: https://youtu.be/_jJcZxTORQ4
Int Salsa: https://youtu.be/OUImSKCC9gs
Beginners Salsa: https://youtu.be/nm3YQxo_R_0